Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Recreation, Ontario
Last year the Ontario government created the Syl Apps Awards of Excellence through the Office of Community Sport and Recreation Development. The awards recognize the contribution that Ontario’s youth make to their communities in more than one of the following fields:
- Community volunteerism, and
Syl Apps was a Canadian pole-vault champion, a proud member of the Canadian Olympic team, a star centre and captain for the Toronto Maple Leafs. Apps served as Ontario’s Athletic Commissioner and as a member of the Ontario Legislature for 12 years, working tirelessly to represent the Kingston Region. Serving as Minister of Correctional Services, he took a great interest in finding new ways young people could make a lasting contribution to their community.
Who is Eligible?
To qualify for the Syl Apps Award of Excellence the nominee must be no older that 18 years of age [note: there is no age minimum age restriction]; a resident of Ontario; and have made a contribution in the community in all of the following categories:
- At a high level of athletic achievement and/or athletic participation in the community, region or school
- As a volunteer in the community and/or school environment (e.g. good Samaritan, helped older adults, volunteered at a special event, participated in school activities)
- Demonstrated leadership abilities in the community and/or school environment (e.g. team captain or assistant, group leader, member of student council, youth club or a special community volunteer project).
Each community in Ontario has the opportunity to honour 1 boy and 1 girl in each age category by nominating them for a Regional Syl Apps Award of Excellence.
There are two categories for the Syl Apps Awards of Excellence:
- 14 years of age and under
- 15 to 18 years of age.
Applications are available at local municipal government offices. The completed applications and supporting documentation must be returned to the municipality for review and processing.
For additional information, please contact the Office of Community Sport and Recreation Development at 1 800 443-4549 or your local Consultant at the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Recreation Services Office at www.tourism.gov.on.ca