PRIMARY CLASS SIZE is a mandate by the Ministry of Education for all Ontario school boards.
All Boards must ensure that:
- 90% of Primary (JK to Grade 3) classes are at a ratio of 20:1
- The remaining 10% have a maximum class size of 23:1
- Junior and Intermediate (Grades 4-8) must be at a regional average of 25:1
- Early Learning Program (ELP) kindergarten classes are staffed at a board wide average of 26:2 (teacher and ECE)
As a result of the PCS initiative, school organizations and class building may be affected. This may include:
- A change in who is assigned as your child's teacher
- Reassigning rooms currently designated for specific programs such as art, core French, music, etc.
- Additional portables may be required to supplement space at the school
- Combined grades (split classes) to achieve class size targets
- A change in the Kindergarten schedule
- A limited number of schools open to optional attendance
Please see attached information:
Primary Class Size Letter
Frequently Asked Questions