September 12, 2019
NOTICE OF M.A.S.S. VACANCY
Position: Braille Transcriber
Salary Range: $64,163 – $76,516 - Band 5
Location: New Street Education Centre
Work Schedule: 35 hours/week, 10 months/year
Effective Date: As soon as possible
The Braille Transcriber converts classroom teacher-generated materials/handouts/worksheets, workbooks, textbooks and all student exams into braille for use by Blind Low Vision students. The Braille Transcriber is also responsible for putting visual material such as graphs, diagrams, charts, pictures, maps, line drawings, etc. into tactile format.
- Ensure that braille is prepared accurately/clearly that follow Braille codes and formatting rules
- Provide many workshops to Educational Assistants on the Blind Low Vision team and throughout the system
- Mentoring of Education Assistants on the Blind Low Vision team
- Creating tactile graphics using specialized software (CorelDraw) and equipment (PIAF machine) and following graphic standard
- Brailling for extended periods of time
- Primarily working out of the New Street Education Centre, occasionally travel to school is required
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Requirements required:
- College Diploma
- CNIB Literary Braille Certification
- CNIB Nemeth Certification
- CNIB UEB Certification
- CNIB TEchnical UEB
- 5 years experience
- CNIB UEB Transcription Certification, CNIB UEB Technical, CNIB Nemeth Transcription Certification
- Knowledge of French transcription code
- Knowledge of Braille formatting and graphic standards
- Proficient computer skills with experience using specialized Braille software (Duxbury, Kurzweil) and equipment (embosser, scanner, booking binding machine)
Applications, along with your resume and other supporting documents must be submitted through Apply to Education – www.applytoeducation.com by 4:00 pm on Thursday, September 26, 2019.
Job Category: Management & Professionals - Job Code #2749930
We thank all applicants for their interest in opportunities with the Halton District School Board. Contact will be made with applicants whose experience and qualifications most closely match the requirements of the position. Communication with short-listed applicants will be made through the email address provided on the applicants’ Apply To Education profile page.
First consideration for posted vacancies will be given to qualified applicants from the employee group in which the vacancy occurs.
We believe that every person has a right to equitable treatment and freedom from discrimination.
The Halton District School Board recognizes the intents contained in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Upon request, we will make reasonable interview and employment accommodations during the selection process, based on any of the human rights protected grounds.
Ensuring the safety of our students is essential. For this reason, external applicants hired to the HDSB must provide an original copy of an acceptable criminal background check with vulnerable sector screening.
The HDSB is committed to providing a respectful and healthy work environment.