Students with the Halton District School Board participated in the 58th Annual Bay Area Science and Engineering Fair (BASEF) in Hamilton on March 21-27 and performed very well, capturing the highest number of awards in the competition. More than 500 students took part in the ArcelorMittal Dofasco-sponsored BASEF at Mohawk College, where more than $300,000 worth of prizes were awarded to celebrate young science and engineering enthusiasts.
In Halton, 17 schools participated, with students creating 108 projects and capturing 75 awards while competing against seven other school boards and independent schools.
Qualifying for the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair is Arielle Ainabe, a Grade 11 student at Garth Webb Secondary School. The fair takes place the week of May 12, 2018 in two locations: Pittsburgh and Phoenix. Ainabe's project is, Tardigrade Mech: A Biomimetic System for Advanced Radiation Protection in Space.
Qualifying for the Canada-Wide Science Fair, taking place May 16-18, 2018 in Ottawa are:
- Ellie Xu, Grade 11 student at Garth Webb Secondary School – C.O.D.I.A. (Computer operated and delightfully intelligent assistant).
- Monica Mahut, Grade 10 student at M. M. Robinson High School – WATS UP: Water Activated Transportation System Uplifting Physics.
- Krish Joshi, Grade 9 student at Robert Bateman High School – Tackling Pseudomonas aeruginosa Biofilm Resistance: Synergy of Bacteriophage and Grapeseed Phenolics.
- Stefanie Mahut, Grade 8 student at Rolling Meadows Public School – TWEET: Torsionally Whirling Environmentally Esthetic Turbine.
- Kailas Chari, Grade 8 student at Maple Grove Public School – Freezing Point Depression of Different Salts in Varying Concentrations in Solution.
- Andrew Probert, Grade 8 student at Maple Grove Public School – Life Band...When Timing Means Everything.
Other students received prizes including cash, trips, scholarships and special awards. Visit basef.ca or click here for complete Halton results.
For additional information, contact:
Jason Misner, Communications Officer
Halton District School Board
905-335-3663; Toll free: 1-877-618-3456