Community members are encouraged to submit a suggestion for the new name of the school by Sept. 24
The Halton District School Board is renaming Ryerson Public School in Burlington and is seeking suggestions from community members. At the June 16, 2021 meeting of the HDSB, Trustees unanimously approved a motion to rename the school in accordance with the Board’s Naming and Renaming Schools Policy and Governance Procedure. Ryerson Public School was named after Egerton Ryerson for his contributions to the Ontario education system, however, Ryerson was also instrumental to the design of Canada’s residential school system.
The elementary school is located at 565 Woodview Road, Burlington. Students, families and community members are encouraged to submit suggestions for a new name for the school between Sept. 7 - 24, 2021.
The HDSB recognizes the significance of naming a new school as an opportunity to:
- reflect the geography, history, local environment, culture or traditions of the community;
- consider equity, diversity and inclusion in the school community;
- name a renowned person of historical significance to the Halton community, or a real person whose contribution to society or humanity is recognized and valued across Canada.
Suggestions can be made:
- By completing the online form
- By fax -- 905-335-4447
- By mail -- Communications Dept., Halton District School Board,
PO Box 5005 STN LCD 1, Burlington, ON L7R 3Z2
Suggestions will be accepted until Friday, Sept. 24, 2021.
Each name that is submitted will be reviewed by a committee which will include parent/guardian representation. A shortlist of names will be prepared and presented to the Board of Trustees who will select the final name at one of the regularly scheduled Board meetings in November 2021. The selected name for the school will be announced in a news release and posted on the HDSB website (www.hdsb.ca) and social media.