The Halton District School Board (HDSB) is committed to providing the best educational opportunities possible for International Students.
In order to facilitate this, International Students, regardless of age, must participate according to the following conditions
The Halton District School Board (HDSB) is committed to providing the best educational opportunities for international students. In order to facilitate this, International Students, regardless of age, must participate according to the following conditions:
- The student must obey the laws of Canada, the Province of Ontario and follow the rules, guidelines and policies of the HDSB and the school in which the student is enrolled.
- The student must follow all specific school and Board regulations regarding attendance, course responsibilities and behaviour as they pertain to day school and continuing education programs (if applicable). The student must attend school on a daily basis. The custodian/parent must authorize all absences. Students must submit a doctor’s note for extended absences. Repeated absences can result in removal from the International Student Program.
- The student or custodian must contact the International Student Program Coordinator and school if the student changes his/her Halton address and/or changes custodian. All international students must have a custodian even if they are over the age of 18. Custodians must be fluent in English.
- Students must maintain a high academic standing in order to remain in the International Student Program. Students who continue to be unsuccessful can result in removal from the International Student Program.
- The student must maintain a full-time timetable. In a semestered secondary school, this means 4 courses per semester. However, the student may take 3 courses per semester in their final year. Students can only take one online course per semester.
- The student’s reports on attendance, academics and emotional/psychological concerns can be shared with parents, custodian, school and Board personnel in order to provide the necessary guidance and assistance for student success.
- The student and family acknowledge that based on the information in the application, HDSB has the right to make educational decisions, including placement and program selections in the best interests of the student within the available resources.
- The student and family understand and agree that inaccuracies in the application or failure to abide by the above conditions may result in immediate dismissal from the HDSB without refund of tuition fee. If it is determined by the HDSB that the student’s educational needs are greater than disclosed in the application, the HDSB can send the student home at the parent’s expense.
- Invoices will be sent out for the following year in mid-December and due 30 days after the date of issue.
- All elementary students (including grade eight) must live with one of their parents (a mother or father) full time or the student will be removed from the ISP.
- Students are not permitted to own or operate a motor vehicle, including cars and motorcycles.
- Students are required to use the custodian services of Canada Homestay Network and have Canada Homestay Network make homestay arrangements. Canada Homestay Network will make every effort to ensure the homestay is in the school catchment area. Students residing outside the school catchment area will be asked to relocate to be in the school catchment area.
- The HDSB requires all International students to remain at the same school until graduation. No school transfers will be permitted.
Please contact us if you have any question about becoming an international student in Halton.
Halton District School Board
International Students Program
HDSB Welcome Centre
215 Ontario Street South
Tel: 905-335-3665, ext 3435
Toll free: 1-877-618-3456