In partnership with HMC Connections (HMC), the Welcome Centre supports student and family engagement through the support of Youth Settlement Specialists (YSS) at the Welcome Centre and in schools.
YSS support schools in the following ways:
- Stationary support - YSS will be physically available to work with families (one on one) for a specific period of time each day/week.
- Assigned support - Assigned YSS will support the school on an as needed basis. Families will need to make an appointment with the YSS based on mutual availability
- Itinerant support - Schools will contact their Regional Lead to connect a family with YSS support.
It is important to note that YSS are not Guidance Counsellors, Interpreters,
Child and Youth Counsellors nor Social Workers.
Welcome Centre (HDSB YSS only)
- Orient and inform families new to Halton of the HDSB system, routines and expectations
- Collaborate with the Welcome Centre Academic Assessor(s) and Welcome Centre Social Worker to support student transition into school and the community
- Provide language support during the registration and assessment process
- Identify any settlement needs for incoming families and refer families to resources and support within the Halton community
Program Lead, Youth Settlement (K-12),
Equity and Inclusive Education