Welcoming newcomer students and their families to our schools
Who comes to the Welcome Centre?
Students from Grade 1 to age 21 must register through the Welcome Centre if any of the following apply:
- entering the Ontario school system for the first time and whose first language is not English (or is a variety of English different from the variety used for instruction in Ontario Schools)
- entering HDSB with an International Student Visa (or any visa including Visitor Visas)
- entering HDSB with a work permit or a study permit - student and/or parent /guardian holds the permit
- entering HDSB with their Permanent Residence Status application in progress
- entering HDSB from a French language school from a French language school board
- re-entering Ontario after an absence of a year or more (for students whose first language is not English)
What should you bring?
- Proof of child’s age
- Proof of address (two documents required)
- Proof of child’s citizenship or immigration status
- Immunization records
- Education records
- If you are not the child’s parent, or if you have sole custody, please bring proof of custody (court order)
What happens at the Welcome Centre?
- Family interview to discuss your child’s school history, interests and goals
- Meeting with our settlement team to assist with a smooth transition to school and life in Halton
- Initial assessments of students’ English proficiency and mathematics skills
- Credit equivalency recommendations (new to Ontario with Secondary School credits)
- Registration of students to the appropriate school
- Orientation to education in Ontario
- Meeting to discuss results of assessments
- Appointment arranged with the elementary and/or secondary school
How long is the appointment?
- Elementary students: 2-3 hours
- Secondary students: 3-4 hours
- 905-335-3665 ext: 3440 or ext: 3435 for fee-paying International Visa Students
- Welcome Centre is inside Gary Allan High School in Milton, 215 Ontario Street South, Milton, L9T 4N5. Via Milton Transit, take bus #5 or #8.
- email: email@example.com