Frequently asked questions about receiving messages from your child’s school and the HDSB
1. What are Absence Messages?
Answer: The SchoolMessenger
system sends absence messages to inform parents/guardians of unexplained student absences. Parents/guardians can choose how they want to receive these messages by setting their communication preferences in SchoolMessenger
. Options include communication via email, app notification (through the HDSB Mobile App), text message or phone call.
If you do not wish to receive messages, or wish to reduce the number of messages you receive, please ensure you report your child’s absence ahead of time. You can also set your communication preferences for receiving different types of messages by logging into your SchoolMessenger account.
For further information about absence messages, please contact your school.
2. What do I do if I am not receiving messages from my school?
Answer: Please confirm the following:
- That your child’s school has a correct/current email address and phone number for you
- That you have set your communication preferences (within SchoolMessenger) to receive messages from SchoolMessenger
- That security settings on your device/mail settings are not preventing you from receiving messages
Please contact your school if you are still not receiving school or HDSB messages.
3. How do I update my contact details?
Answer: Please contact the school and provide them with your current information.
4. How do I subscribe or unsubscribe from SchoolMessenger?
Answer: On the bottom of every email sent through SchoolMessenger
, there is a footer with a link to either subscribe or unsubscribe. You can also set your communication preferences for receiving different types of messages by logging into your SchoolMessenger
5. I am receiving messages and/or phone calls but should not be.
Answer: Check your communication preferences by logging into your SchoolMessenger
account on the app or website.
Please contact the school that issued the message/phone call if you continue to receive these messages.
6. How often will I receive messages?
Answer: This varies from school to school.
7. What time of day will I receive messages?
Absence messages and phone calls are issued in the morning for elementary and secondary students. Secondary student absences and lates are also communicated in the evening. Parents are able to modify their communication preferences from within their SchoolMessenger account.
Informational messages are generally issued at the end of the day.
Urgent messages such as a school closure are communicated prior to the start of the school day.
Inclement weather or bus cancellations affecting multiple or all schools are emailed only by 6:30 a.m.