Bus Cancellations and
School Closure Procedures
in Inclement Weather
*Map of transportation zones
*See below information regarding school closures or transportation cancellations during the secondary school exam period.
(Updated November 2015)
INCLEMENT WEATHER REMINDERS
• When the temperature (with or without) wind chill reaches -20 Celsius, students will enter school immediately upon arrival in the morning and remain indoors during nutrition breaks.
• It is a parent’s decision whether to send their child to school on inclement weather days.
Cancelling School Buses and Closing Schools Due to Bad Weather
During the winter months, inclement weather may cause the disruption of bus transportation and regular school operations. In case of inclement weather, the decision to close schools and/or cancel buses is communicated beginning at 6:30 a.m. in the following ways:
Primary Methods of Communication:
• Halton District School Board website (www.hdsb.ca)
• Halton Student Transportation Services (www.haltonbus.ca)
• Telephone recording through the Board’s main switchboard at 905-335-3665 or Toll free at 1-
• Television Stations: CHCH, CITY TV, CP24
• AM Radio Stations: CFRB 1010 AM, CJOY 1460 AM, CHML 900 AM,
CKOC 1150 AM, CHWO 740 AM, AM680NEWS, CHAM 820 AM.
• FM Radio Stations: CHFI 98.1 FM, WAVE 94.7 FM, Y108/107.9 FM, CING 95.3 FM, KLITE 102.9 FM, CBC 99.1 FM, CIMJ 106.1 FM.
Supplementary Methods of Communication:
The Home Notification System will email the homes of approximately 60,000 students (between
6:30 and 7:30 a.m.). Delays are caused by limitations of external email hosts receiving our
messages, spam protection, as well as other GTA school boards sending messages that morning.
For this reason the Home Notification System is supplementary to TV, radio and website
• Twitter – School closures and bus cancellations will be tweeted to followers at @HaltonDSB
Reminders for Bus Riders:
• When bus transportation is cancelled, it is cancelled for the entire day. Parents who bring
their children to school, must make arrangements to pick up them up at dismissal time.
• Due to housing development in north Burlington and Oakville between Hwy. 407 and Dundas
Street, the boundary area for bus cancellations and school closures has been changed to include
the area south of Hwy. 407. The area south of Dundas Street (west of Hwy. 407) remains
unchanged. See Inclement Weather map (above) for details.
• Pay careful attention to the bus cancellation message if your child/children travels from one zone to another for a specialized program. If your child travels into or through a zone where the transportation is cancelled, then there will be NO transportation provided for your child that
• Dress warmly on cold weather day as school buses maybe delayed and your child may be waiting
for the bus for a longer time than usual.
• Sign up on the Halton Student Transportation Service (HSTS) website for updates on bus delays
or weather-related cancelations (www.haltonbus.ca).
High Schools Exams: Each secondary school will provide instructions in advance to
students/parents/guardians regarding what to do in the event of a school closure or transportation cancellation during the secondary school exam period. This information will be posted on high school websites. It can also be found here.
The following schools are located in rural areas and/or may have many bussed students. Therefore, these schools will be designated closed when transportation is cancelled for the day:
Kilbride P.S., Brookville P.S., Pineview P.S., Limehouse P.S., and Stewarttown P.S.
For more information about school bus transportation on this website, use the search function under
“Policies” and “Inclement Weather”