Kindergarten in Ontario establishes a strong foundation for learning in the early years for four and five-year-olds, provided in a safe and caring play-based environment that promotes the physical, social, emotional and cognitive development of all children.
All Halton District School Board schools offer the Full Day Every Day Kindergarten model. In this model, children attend school full day, five days a week. Classrooms are staffed by a teacher and an early childhood educator.
Registering for Kindergarten
Beginning in January each year, the Halton District School Board accepts registrations for Junior and Senior Kindergarten. Parents may register children turning four before December 31 in the first year of the two-year Kindergarten program. Application forms are available at schools or on the Halton District School Board website. Completed applications and related documentation are submitted to the home school in January of the year in which the child will be starting.
Parents/Guardians are asked to print and fill out the Student Registration Form and the Kindergarten Parent Questionnaire before bringing them to the school.
For your home school, please refer to “Find my Local School" and enter your address in the “Find a School' search box.
School Boundary Maps are also found within the Planning section of the Halton District School Board website.
- Complete registration at the family's home school
- Check Halton District School Board's website for further information
- Attend Ready, Set, Go! parenting sessions in January and February.
- Complete a Nipissing screening form for the child (found in the calendar)
- Apply to the four week summer program if the child has not had any previous pre-school experience
- Attend a Kindergarten Even Start evening at the school in May or June
- Receive notification about the first school visit and entry in September
- Arrange a spring visit to the school for a child who is particularly anxious about starting school
- Check the Halton Region website regarding common parenting challenges including toileting.
- View the question and answer guide for parents provided by the Ontario Ministry of Education.
Kindergarten Parent Information Evenings
Parents/guardians registering children in Kindergarten programs receive notification from their schools of spring orientation evenings. These school-based evenings are used to meet other families and staff, provide information about school and Kindergarten classroom routines, and to describe a typical day in the classroom. A winter meeting is held for Halton parents of Kindergarten-aged children with special needs . The date, time and location are posted on the Board website when they are available.
School visits and entry
Kindergarten students begin school on the first day of school in September - the same day as all other students. The Halton District School Board no longer has a 'gradual entry' process for Kindergarten students. Parents may contact their child's school regarding a school visit before the first day of school in September.
The following are useful resources for parents/guardians with a child entering Kindergarten:
Kindergarten Parent Questionnaire
Student Registration Form
Before and After School Program Rates and Locations
Child Care in Ontario - Key Facts
FDK Parent Fact Sheet
FDK Program Key Facts
Halton Region Periods Exclusion
Playing is Learning
For additional information, contact:
905-335-3663, Toll free: 1-877-618-3456
Burlington schools - ext. 3294
Halton Hills and Milton schools – ext. 3324
Oakville schools – ext. 3271 or 3307