The study of mathematics equips students with knowledge, skills, and habits of mind that are essential to successfully and fully participating in society. Mathematics requires individuals to think critically about complex issues, analyse and adapt to new situations, solve problems of various kinds and communicate their thinking effectively.
Halton District School Board addresses innovative approaches to teaching math with release of video series.
- First of three part series examines Province’s Renewed Math Strategy and its implementation in Halton public schools.
- The second part of the three part series shows math instruction in action in elementary and secondary classrooms and the innovative teaching taking place
- The third and final part of the series, provides supports, resources, practical ideas and activities for parents and guardians to help them assist their children with math teaching outside of the classroom.
Our Math Plan includes:
- providing every elementary school with math resources to support students in the classroom
- teacher leadership in mathematics in every elementary school (e.g., math coach or lead teacher)
- professional learning in support of excellence in mathematics instruction (e.g., school-based, regional learning and additional qualifications in mathematics), and
- regional events to engage and inform parents/guardians (e.g., DreamBox learning, Growth Mindset, Kids don’t know their facts!, etc.)