All high schools students must complete 40 hours of community involvement by the time they graduate from Grade 12. Students may begin to accumulate volunteer hours in the summer between Grade 8 and Grade 9.
Community Involvement Requirements for 20/21 and 21/22 have been changed by the Ministry of Education.
- Graduating students will only require 20 hours
- There is more flexibility for all students
Why community hours?
Community hours encourages awareness of civic responsibility, and gives the students opportunities to make valuable contributions to their communities.
- Graduation requirement
- Encourage civic engagement
- Valuable contribution to your community
- Develop skills (e.g., communication, interpersonal)
- Explore interests + Connection to pathway
- Community Involvement is designed to benefit the community
must complete hours outside of class time
must not be part of a credit course
must be unpaid activities
must not replace the role of a worker that would normally receive wages
must be completed by end of Grade 12
Code of conduct
appropriate dress and grooming
provide help to their child when they are selecting community hours and contact the community sponsor and school principal with any questions and concerns
sign the required document if your child is under 18
Parents help select activities that take into account the following requirements:
location of activity and hours of operation
health and safety
work force type
See this page for
Guidelines on Eligible and Ineligible Activities
Where can we find Community Involvement Opportunities?
Students must complete the Notification of Planned Activity on the
Record of Community Involvement Hours document which is available from their home school and then submit to their teacher advisor.
Steps to Completing the hours
Tips for Success
- Begin Early: Students can begin their community involvement hours the summer after grade 8
- Be Professional: Be on time Dress appropriately Listen to instructions
- Be Safe: Ask for help if in doubt
- Ensure Eligibility: Confirm
eligibility of activity in advance Note: Guidance departments are closed during the summer
- Submit Paperwork: Submit paperwork for each activity as it is completed
- Complete early: It is recommended that you complete your 40 community involvement hours before you begin grade 11
Persons and organizations in the community can be asked by the student to sponsor a community involvement activity. It is crucial that students are able to fulfill their community involvement activities in a safe environment. Any training, equipment, or special preparation that is required for the activity should be provided by the person or organization. The person overseeing the student's activity must verify the date(s) and the number of hours completed on the
Record of Community Involvement Hours document.
The board's liability insurance will protect the students and the community sponsors that may arise from the students’ activities in the community involvement program for the 40 hours required.