Summer Operations at the Welcome Centre
The operating hours of the Welcome Centre are from 8am - 5pm, Monday to Thursday (closed Fridays). Please note that the Welcome Centre's office building/location is closed and staff are working from remote locations. Assessments will be booked for the following days
July 2, 7, 8, 9, 14, 15, 16, 21, 22, 23, 28, 29, 30
August 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 12, 13, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 31
September 1, 4
The Welcome Centre will remotely book assessments Monday to Friday 8:30 - 3:00 pm during the weeks of August Intake and School Start Up (August 24 - September 4).
Families need to fill out the
HDSB Welcome Centre Google Form
(preferred method of contact), send an email or call to book an appointment.HDSB WELCOME CENTRE FORM
Call: 905-335-3665 ext. 3440
Welcoming New/Returning Students and Families to Halton
Who comes to the Welcome Centre?
Students from Grade 1 to age 21 must register through the Welcome Centre if any of the following apply:
Entering from Ontario school system for the first time, and whose first language is not English (or is a variety of English)*
- Entering HDSB with an International Student Visa (or any visa including Visitor Visas)
- Entering with a Work Permit or a Study Permit (student and/or parent/guardian holds the permit)
- Entering HDSB with their Permanent Residence Status application in progress
- Entering from a French language school in a French language school board (if first language is not English)
- Re-entering Ontario after an absence of a year or more (if first language is not English)
*where student is a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident or Refugee Claimant
Effective April 1, 2019, the Welcome Centre will no longer register JK/SK students except where
- The parent has a Work Permit AND is registering their first child in the family with HDSB
- The parent/child has a Study Permit/Visa
- The parent is a Permanent Resident applicant on visitor status
What should you bring?
- Proof of child’s age
- Proof of address (two documents required)
- Proof of child’s citizenship or immigration status
- Immunization records
- Education records
- If you are not the child’s parent, or if you have sole custody, please bring proof of custody (court order)
What happens at the Welcome Centre?
- Family interview to discuss your child’s school history, interests and goals
- Meeting with our settlement team to assist with a smooth transition to school and life in Halton
- Initial assessments of students’ English proficiency and mathematics skills
- Credit equivalency recommendations (new to Ontario with Secondary School credits)
- Registration of students to the appropriate school
- Orientation to education in Ontario
- Meeting to discuss results of assessments
- Appointment arranged with the elementary and/or secondary school
How long is the appointment?
- Elementary students: 2-3 hours
- Secondary students: 3-4 hours
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 905-335-3665 ext: 3440 or ext: 3435 for fee-paying International Visa Students
- The Welcome Centre is inside Gary Allan High School in Milton, 215 Ontario Street South, Milton, L9T 4N5. Via Milton Transit, take bus #5 or #8.
The Welcome Centre is partially funded by IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada)