Summer Operations at the Welcome Centre
For the month of July and August, the Welcome Centre will be open from 8am - 5pm Monday - Thursday.
Assessments will be booked for the following days:
July 2, 3, 9, 10, 16, 17, 23, 24, 25, 30, 31
August 1, 6, 7, 8
The Welcome Centre will book assessments Monday to Friday 8:30 - 3:00 pm during the weeks of August Intake and School Start Up (August 19 - September 13th)
Families need to email or call to book an appointment
905-335-3665 ext. 3440
Welcoming New/Returning Students and Families to Halton
Who comes to the Welcome Centre?
Students from Grade 1 to age 21 must register through the Welcome Centre if any of the following apply:
entering the Ontario school system for the first time and whose first language is not English (or is a variety of English different from the variety used for instruction in Ontario Schools)
- entering HDSB with an International Student Visa (or any visa including Visitor Visas)
- entering HDSB with a work permit or a study permit - student and/or parent /guardian holds the permit
- entering HDSB with their Permanent Residence Status application in progress
- entering HDSB from a French language school from a French language school board
- re-entering Ontario after an absence of a year or more (for students whose first language is not English)
What should you bring?
- Proof of child’s age
- Proof of address (two documents required)
- Proof of child’s citizenship or immigration status
- Immunization records
- Education records
- If you are not the child’s parent, or if you have sole custody, please bring proof of custody (court order)
What happens at the Welcome Centre?
- Family interview to discuss your child’s school history, interests and goals
- Meeting with our settlement team to assist with a smooth transition to school and life in Halton
- Initial assessments of students’ English proficiency and mathematics skills
- Credit equivalency recommendations (new to Ontario with Secondary School credits)
- Registration of students to the appropriate school
- Orientation to education in Ontario
- Meeting to discuss results of assessments
- Appointment arranged with the elementary and/or secondary school
How long is the appointment?
- Elementary students: 2-3 hours
- Secondary students: 3-4 hours
- email: email@example.com
- 905-335-3665 ext: 3440 or ext: 3435 for fee-paying International Visa Students
- The Welcome Centre is inside Gary Allan High School in Milton, 215 Ontario Street South, Milton, L9T 4N5. Via Milton Transit, take bus #5 or #8.
The Welcome Centre is partially funded by IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada)