Inclement Weather Reminders
During the winter months, inclement weather may cause the disruption of bus transportation and regular school operations. Parents/guardians are reminded to review the inclement weather information below for the school year. In case of poor weather,
the decision to close schools and/or cancel buses is
communicated to parents beginning at 6:30 a.m.
It is always a parent’s decision whether to send their child to school on inclement weather days. Parents who keep their children at home when schools are open,
MUST report this absence before the school day starts at:
- Toll free 1-877-409-6310
- Online at go.schoolmessenger.ca
- HDSB Mobile App. Available on the App Store and Google Play, Search for Halton District School Board.
Methods of Communication
Since communication is key in alerting families to the status of school operations and busing, we use a variety of methods to communicate this important information.
HDSB Twitter - @HaltonDSB
HDSB Facebook - @Halton District School Board
HDSB Instagram - @HDSBSchools
HDSB Mobile App
- Alert message will be posted on the Halton District School Board website
Halton Student Transportation Services
Telephone recording through the Board’s main switchboard at 905-335-3665 or Toll free at 1-877- 618-3456
Television Stations: CHCH, CITY TV, CP24
AM Radio Stations: CFRB 1010 AM, CJOY
1460 AM, CHML 900 AM, CKOC 1150 AM, CHWO 740 AM, AM680NEWS, CHAM 820 AM
FM Radio Stations: CHFI 98.1 FM, WAVE 94.7 FM, Y108/107.9 FM, CING 95.3 FM, KLITE 102.9 FM, CBC 99.1 FM, CIMJ 106.1 FM
Email Notifications on Inclement Weather Days
The SchoolMessenger System will email the parents of approximately 60,000 students (between 6:30 and 7:30 a.m.). Delays in email delivery are caused by limitations of parents' Internet Service Provider (ISP) receiving our messages, spam protection, as well as other GTA school boards sending messages that morning. For this reason, School Messenger email is supplementary to social media, website TV and radio.
Inclement Weather Transportation Zone Map
Reminders for Bus Riders
- When bus transportation is cancelled, it is cancelled for the entire day. Parents who bring their children to school when buses are cancelled, must make arrangements to pick them up at dismissal time.
- Review the Transportation Zone map to ensure you know which zone you live in. Bus cancellation announcements refer to those zones.
- Pay careful attention to the bus cancellation message if your child travels from one zone to another for a specialized program. If your child travels into or through a zone where the transportation is cancelled, then there will be NO transportation provided for your child that day.
- Dress warmly on cold weather days as school buses may be delayed and your child may be waiting for the bus longer than usual.
- Create a Parent Portal account on the Halton Student Transportation Services (HSTS) website to receive updates on bus delays or weather related cancellations (www.haltonbus.ca)
When it is -20 Celsius or below
When the temperature (with or without) wind chill reaches -20 Celsius, students will enter school immediately upon arrival in the morning and remain indoors during nutrition breaks.