Avoiding Loss and Theft
Students are not required to bring their personally owned devices (laptops, tablets, smartphones, etc..) to school. However, if personally owned devices are brought to school, Parents and students should be aware of the suggested practices.
- Discuss with your child how to prevent their electronic devices from being stolen, including where they will keep it when they can't carry it on their person, for example during Physical Education class.
- Password protect the device and employ an idle timeout so that the password protection automatically turns on after 20 minutes of inactivity. This protection will safeguard personal information and also add a layer of frustration to anyone stealing the device.
- Add to the device case of the device itself instructions on how to contact the owner if the device is found.
- Install tools to track the device if it is lost or stolen. The following is a list of tracking tools that you may wish to install. Make your child aware if you install any of the following pieces of software that they should notify you immediately if they can't find their device. In most cases the sooner you use one of these programs to search for a missing device the greater the chance of being able to retrieve it.
The Prey Project - free download
- For Android phones and tablets
- Tools to install after the device is stolen