The Halton District School Board is hosting today the 10th Annual Equity and Inclusive Education Conference, called Our Voices 2017: Canada, Before and Beyond 150 in Milton. In the HDSB, the recognition of Canada 150 is about the path to Reconciliation through the Truth and Reconciliation Commission's 'calls to action for education'.
At Our Voices 2017: Canada, Before and Beyond 150, educators will learn knowledge and wisdom from Indigenous voices. Attendees will also learn about the learning journey students and staff experienced throughout the school year to build awareness and inform our perspectives.
Specifically, the day will include:
• Outdoor opening circle and smudge
• Land acknowledgment and greetings
• Candy Palmater, sharing her experiences from the road less travelled
• Traditional cooking from NishDish Toronto
• Learning circles lead by Indigenous leaders, knowledge keepers, and artists
• A drumming closing