Halton District School Board students captured the highest number of awards in the 59th annual Bay Area Science and Engineering Fair (BASEF) in Hamilton from March 29 - April 2. More than 450 students took part in the ArcelorMittal Dofasco-sponsored BASEF at Mohawk College, where more than $300,000 worth of prizes were awarded to celebrate young science and engineering enthusiasts.
Within the HDSB, 15 schools participated with students creating 160 projects and capturing 147 prizes while competing against six other school boards and independent schools.
The Best-In-Fair award was won by Sabrina Mogus, Grade 9 student at White Oaks SS for her project, ‘Need some TLC? Tigernut Liquid Coagulant: An undiscovered biocoagulant for water turbidity reduction’. Mogus is also the recipient of the Best High School Project award. Arielle Ainabe, Grade 12 student at Garth Webb SS, came in third place for her project, ‘Tardigrade Mech: Using Boron Nitride Nanotubes for Space Radiation Protection’. Mogus and Ainabe are also among the four high school students chosen to compete at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair, taking place mid-May in Phoenix, Arizona.
W.H. Morden PS in Oakville earned the Top Elementary School award.
Qualifying for the Canada Wide Science Fair, taking place mid-May in Fredericton, New Brunswick are:
- Jeffrey Klinck, Grade 8 student at W.H. Morden PS - ‘Using B.C.I. and A.I. for Emotion Detection for Mental Health Applications’
- Monica Mahut, Grade 11 student at M.M. Robinson HS - ‘Elevator to Everywhere’
- Evan Shvetsov, Grade 8 student at Maple Grove PS - ‘How Neurolinguistic Programming in Media Affects Consumers’
- Lily Smales, Grade 8 student at W.H. Morden PS - ‘Convolutional Neural Network to Detect Eyes with Early Stages of Visual Impairment’
- Mohammed Torkmani and Raphael Xu, Grade 8 students at Maple Grove PS - ‘Plastic Delicacies’
More students received prizes including cash, trips, scholarships and special awards. Visit basef.ca
or click here
for complete HDSB results.
For additional information, contact:
Jason Misner, Communications Officer
Halton District School Board
905-335-3663 | Toll-free 1-877-618-3456