What are the Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) programs?
SHSM programs allow students to specialize their education around their chosen field of interest. Each SHSM program includes a bundle of 8-10 Grade 11 and 12 courses related to that area of interest.
Grade 11 and 12 students choose a major sector area such as:
- Arts and Culture
- Health and Wellness
- Horticulture and Landscaping
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Information and Communications Technology
- Justice, Community Safety and Emergency Services
- Social Justice
5 SHSM Program Components
Together, these requirements provide the curriculum based and experiential learning experiences for making a successful transition to a student’s chosen pathway.
- Bundle of Gr. 11 & 12 Courses
- Reach Ahead Opportunities
- Cooperative Education
- Sector Specific Partnered Experiences in Math, Coding or ICE (Innovation, Creativity & Entrepreneurship)
Key Benefits for Students
Pursuing a SHSM enables students to:
- Customize their secondary school education to suit their interests and talents
- Develop specialized knowledge and skills that are valued by the sector and postsecondary education institutions
- Earn credits that are recognized by the sector and postsecondary education institutions
- Acquire sector specific and career relevant certification and training
- Gain confidence in their knowledge of the SHSM Sector
- Identify, explore and refine their career goals and make informed decisions about their post secondary destination
- Remain flexible, with the option to shift between pathways
On completion of program students receive a red seal diploma and transcript record. In some cases students qualify for bursaries and scholarships towards post-secondary education.
Read more about the Speciality High Skills Major Programs
SHSM Board Leads: Veronica Kleinsmith
email@example.com or Anja Vernon firstname.lastname@example.org