School councils should consider putting a process in place twice yearly to assess how effective council has been. This reflective process and planning for improvement may be described in the Operating Norms part of the council bylaws. Some ideas to consider for reflection may be accomplished by all members in a group session or individually by each member with the chair providing a summary of the input for the following meeting of council.
- Are council meetings effective? rarely - sometimes - mostly - consistently
- How could council meetings be improved?
- Are we on track with our goals? rarely - sometimes - mostly - consistently
- What is the next step in our council’s goal setting/strategic plan?
- What is going well?
- Do we need to change any of our processes or operating norms?
- How do we want to improve?